Nintendo has just released its latest financial report and the figures are impressive in terms of sales. Although the Switch's commercial performance has fallen compared to past years, the hybrid console has consolidated its position as one of the Japanese company's biggest successes.
Nintendo Switch already sold 125.62 million units worldwide as of March 31. This means that the hybrid console shipped another 3.07 million units during the last quarter. There was a decrease in gross profit of 6.6%, as Nintendo was unable to meet its sales expectation for the period.
This is normal to some extent, as the console is now in its seventh year on the market. We know that the system will be around for quite a while, as big releases like The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom are already on their way. On the other hand, Switch broke an important record in terms of game sales.
Switch surpasses the barrier of 1 billion games sold
Nintendo revealed in its report that Switch sold another 41.85 million games during the quarter that ended in March. With this, the console surpassed an important record: selling more than 1 billion titles.
To be exact, Switch already sold 1036.15 games worldwide and became the first Nintendo console to surpass the 1 billion title barrier. Previously, the record belonged to Nintendo DS with 948.76 million.
The company took the occasion to update the list of the console's best-selling games and reveal the total sales of recent releases. Below you can see the list:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 53.79 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons: 41.59 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 31.09 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 29.81 million
- Pokémon Sword & Shield: 25.82 million
- Super Mario Odyssey: 25.76 million
- Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: 22.10 million
- Super Mario Party: 19.14 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 14.75 million
- Ring Fit Adventure: 15.41 million
- Pókemon: Legends: Arceus: 14.83 million
- Luigi’s Mansion 3: 12.82 million
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury: 11.38 million
- Splatoon 3: 10.67 million
- Mario Party Superstars: 10.17 million
- Nintendo Switch Sports: 9.60 million
- Kirby and the Forgotten Land: 6.46 million
- Mario Strikers: Battle League: 2.54 million
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1.86 million
- Fire Emblem Engage: 1.61 million
- Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe: 1.46 million
- Metroid Prime Remastered: 1.09 million
- Bayonetta 3: 1.07 million